SugarCRM Inc., announced last week (August 27, 2008) the release of SugarCRM 5.1, a new major version of the well-known commercial open source customer relationship management (CRM) software, which has an improved reporting and analytics engine, as well as additional wireless capabilities (like the support of SugarCRM for the popular BlackBerry® and iPhone™ smartphones).
According to their press release, this new version comes after a thorough beta testing process, during which SugarCRM 5.1 was installed more than 10,000 times by over 25,000 users. Quite impressive development in the four years that have passed since Sugar Community Edition received founding, period during which this edition and additional components were downloaded over 5 million times and reached over 80,000 registered community members (including 14,000 developers that created 500 extensions and the translation of SugarCRM in over 75 languages - more infor at www.sugarforge.org). The entire SugarCRM's user base consists of over 400,000 users on 50,000 installations.
The new or improved features in SugarCRM 5.1:
- Improved Reporting and Analytics engines. Now you can create complex reporting scenarios or matrix reports, or use the tracker reports to see a snapshot of the system usage. SugarCRM 5.1 also provides better data integration with Microsoft Excel (to exchange CRM analytics data).
- New Wireless Client. An improved user interface with new search capabilities, but more important the new wireless client adds support for BlackBerry® and iPhone™ smartphones.
- Data Import Enhancements. It is easier now to move data from/to SugarCRM, from other productivity applications such as Microsoft Excel, Act! by Sage, Microsoft Outlook and Salesforce.
- Module Builder Enhancements. Offers new relationships and templates, auditing features and adds support for creating end-user dashlets.
"Software is transitioning from lock-in based proprietary systems to an open, standards-based world," said John Roberts, CEO of SugarCRM. "As the mass adoption of SugarCRM proves, users want freedom and choice in their software, not artificial constraints and dictates from software providers."
SugarCRM comes in three editions:
- SugarCRM Community Edition 5.1 (free CRM software that works on Linux, Windows, Solaris and Macintosh) can be downloaded here: http://www.sugarforge.org/content/downloads/downloads.php
- SugarCRM Professional Edition 5.1 and SugarCRM Enterprise Edition 5.1 downloads are available onlyf for commercial customers via the Support Portal. New users can sign-up for a free trial of Sugar Professional 5.1 at: http://www.sugarcrm.com/crm/ondemand_eval.html